Lisa: After all these years of pushing to further Sophie’s development, even I sometimes find myself imposing limitations on her. Parents of special needs children, have you ever found yourselves stuck in the status quo because it’s comfortable? I believe we subconsciously allow ourselves to remain stuck because we fear failure. Fear is debilitating. Not only does it create undo stress, but it can severely impede our children’s progress. I challenge us all to think outside the box…seriously think outside the box. Wherever your child is, whatever he/she can do, hit the reset button and push further. We are all at various stages in our journeys, but we support each other. Think about the following:
- Is it time to potty train?
- Should we move him/her out of a crib and into a regular bed?
- Is it time to teach cooking on the stove?
- Should we start driving lessons?
- Do we HAVE to put him/her to bed at night? Can’t the child do this independently?
- Is he/she ready for her own cell phone?
- Is it time to let him/her stay home alone?
- How about running the vacuum or mowing the lawn?
Stop thinking about what could go wrong, have faith, and above all, do not let fear hold you back.
Sophie: Mom, I am not afraid. Goodbye folks!